ETEC

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Session 7

I think that bits and pieces of the Ed Norman Syndrome still exists in the educational realm today. I don't think there is one school district that would give all employees free run with technology. At our site you are able to access the Internet but it allows only access to certain sites that don't have sexual content or violence (there is a short list of words that filters the sites). Teachers have email account through the district but the students do not. In our area though the probability that a majority of parents have the Internet at home is very small. I think that blocking certain sites because of its content is actually good in this era. There is ton of inappropriate material on the Internet that children cold access. I have never had a problem showing certain sites with my lessons and I think it provides the students with extra guidance while they are online. As for email accounts the teachers have them but a majority of us have accounts outside of work so they do not get checked that much as site administrators would help. I try to check mine weekly but sometimes it slips my mind. I could see creating student email accounts for the class if they were going to be used within the classroom maybe for gathering information for papers or for pen pals but teaching kindergarten I can not see email accounts being beneficial to the students because they are so young and learning their basic information.

Weekly Activity: This week I finished my podcast 1 for my project 2. I started creating my materials for my podcast 2 and will finish it whn I return home next week.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey again Cassandra :)

    Yes I agree, like I said in my post, I think it very appropriate to keep some guidlines in place to keep things in order and definitely to keep inappropriate content away from students. I guess it turns into more of a question of "How much is Too much?"

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger James said…

    Cassandra,

    I believe that you are right when you say that block certain sites because of its content is a good idea. I totally agree, and I think they should have policies like this at all educational facilities. I think that children are learning how to use the internet at such a young age now, that perhaps it might be a good idea to start issueing student email accounts at all grade levels.

    James

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Linda Faulk said…

    Well at the level you at at, I can see that perhaps giving them access to the internet is maybe too much freedom. And it is good that some of the sites are blocked, but when I tried to blog at school, this site was blocked, and yet the kids are savvy enough to get to myspace at school..So I guess the blocks are fine for rule-followers like me, but anyone who wants to get around them can...Perhaps the kids need to be the IT people...

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger dflores1972 said…

    Cassandra,
    I think there needs to be guidelines to internet access because I know that at a district that I use to work at. There were some students who were threatening other students through My Space.It got really bad. They were threatening to beat this student up and even kill her. So, guidelines are neccessary for internet access.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    This is an interesting thread. It speaks to political correctness run amok. You can "what if" anything to the point where "no" seems like the only answer.

    To me, it seems erring on the side of caution where K-6 kids are concerned and then being a little less regimented as they mature makes sense. Mike Lawrence made some great points in his Keynote address at the EdTech Conference last fall: kids go home to get connected. (I.e. a lot of schools don't have WiFi, ban iPods, ban IM'ing, lock down the school's internet connection, etc.)

    The problem with this idea is that there a million "what ifs" that made make all these rules justifiable too many. How many administrators examine every decision for potential litigation? Are they wrong?

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger dr.bnewberry said…

    Interesting discussion. Clearly there are reasonable controls that shold be in place in K-12 schools. In some cases an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) can deal with many of the issues.

    Several have mentioned having individual log-ins for students. In this way you can deal with individual students if a problem arises.

    It's sad but true that schools often are overprotective because of fear of litigation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home