ETEC

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Session 6

Looking at the 3 common barriers I can see that we have 2 of the 3 at our site. The barriers that are present are: not enough time in the day to use and not enough training time for the teachers.

Looking first at the not enough time in the day this is mainly because over half of our day has to be dedicated to HM program and math. When you have 2.5 hrs for Language Art and another hour for math this really puts time constraints on them. The way to integrate technology into the classroom would be to use it during the last part of the day for science or social studies. You could use it as a pull out center and then they could return to the group after they are done. Or you could use it as a whole group it you are incorporating streaming media or other activities into the lesson.

The second barrier that I can see at our site in not enough training. A lot of the teachers are uncertain how to use the technology effectively in the classroom. We have had trainings for certain technologies but I think that if we targeted a certain topic each month and a small group worked with that technology after our staff meetings for an hour, teachers would feel more comfortable using the technologies in the classrooms.

Activity Log:

This week I started creating my materials for my project 2.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Davena Peters said…

    Cassandra,
    You have mentioned what seems to be two very common "technology integration barriers", yet you have listed a few ways for the barriers to be overcome. You know, I always hear about the time constraints of teachers in the K-12 classroom setting and how there is never time to use "technology", yet there is time to allow for classroom parties, individual reading times, bell work to allow a teacher to do a bit of prep time, etc.......and I could go on I am sure. I am exagerating a bit here of course, but still think there is a point. If there was the motivation to use technology, as well as the expectation, then time would not be a factor, teachers would find the time. I know that many do. Anyhow, didn't mean to diverge here, just thinking out loud I suppose.
    Davena

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey again :)

    In reference to your barrier of training, have you thought much about the quality of trainings? This is a point I harped on in my own session six blog post and I'm only reiterating it here to see what you think. I think sometimes small trainings can be much more effective when they are giving with better planned and supported training.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Brian Newberry said…

    One of the things that I think about is this: Why do we have to "train" people to use technology. Technology helps us do our jobs. Carpenters didn't have to have training to use air-operated nailers. They found that they made their job easier. What is it about "technology" that we don't get in education? Does technology make our jobs easier or not?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home